Someone who likes to pick up off-road trips, would have heard about bull bars. They are an important addition to your vehicle, as it adds a protective layer to your vehicle. Although they are an important addition to the vehicle, there are certain apprehensions surrounding usability. In certain cases, these bars have proven to be fatal.
In this blog, we try to answer all the questions related to bull bars and their installation.
What Is A Bull Bar?
A bull bar is attached at the front of the vehicle to prevent any accidental collision. It is considered an integral piece of safety equipment, and hence most Australian motorists prefer it for their vehicles. These are made from plastic, steel or aluminium based on the car and the requirement.
Of these, aluminium and steel is considered to be the sturdiest of the options. Steel bull bars put a huge extra load on the suspension and front axle. Motorists then start looking for other alternatives, like the aluminium bull bars. The latter were light in weight and are sturdy and hence is a popular choice now.
Key Points to Consider When Installing Bull Bars
- The first thing that you need to consider is whether or not you need these bars. If you regularly travel to areas where animals strike or you are planning an off-road trip, then you must install these.
- Choose an environment-friendly bull bar rather than choosing an aggressively designed bull bars. This should not disturb the environment around by emitting substances.
- It’s always good to use a lightweight material rather than the ones that put extra load on your vehicle. You need to choose a sturdy material as light weight ones are also strong.
- The mounting points decide the strength of the bull bar on the vehicle where it is added.
- You also need to stick to the legal compliances with the bull bar installation.
- Make sure that when you are buying a bull bar, it should be certified and should not clash with the Australian Design Rules and vehicle standards. Also, you can find manufacturers who provide a certificate that assures that the bull bar won’t impact the crashworthiness.
- Beware of the dealers who sell car accessories which are not approved. Hence, you must always check the accreditation and licence of the car accessories seller.
Legal Requirements for Bull Bars
As we have mentioned above, there are certain legal implications that one needs to adhere to if they want to install a bull bar. You cannot neglect those term. Here are a few of them:
- The design of the bull bar should be such that it doesn’t impact the safety of the vehicle.
- The vehicles that are manufactured to comply with Australian Design Rules 69 and/or 73, the bull bars should.
- 4WD vehicles have a limited front axle load capacity, and so when you add a bar, the load should not exceed the legal axle loading. This becomes especially important if you are installing a heavily constructed bull bar.
- The bull bar manufacturer should show that it doesn’t affect the critical airbag timing, or it should not adversely affect the ADRs’ compliance.
- It should not hinder the vision of the driver or the viewing angles of lights. In case the lights get affected, then additional lights must be added.
- The bull bar must be fitted securely and should not protect further from the front of the vehicle than the required attachment.
- It should be designed to reduce the probability of injury to the pedestrians, and external protrusion should not be sharp.
3 types of material you get in your bullbars
Among all the material accessible on the lookout, steel bull bars are generally normal. It likewise gives vehicle assurance in the event of a Kangaroo accident. Along these lines, it invigorates individuals drive on the provincial parkways. Individuals accept, it is the heartiest material of all.
Plastic bull bars are as of late presented on the lookout. It is the lightest among all. In any case, it isn’t enduring, and you need to change your plastic bulbar intermittent occasions. Additionally, it secures the vehicle as it doesn’t get bowed or pushed in during a crash. It is primarily intended for lighter effects, and they are passer-by amicable.
It is another quick acquiring famous material on the lookout, fundamentally on account of its solidarity and low weight. Be that as it may, its expense is generally high than others. Assuming, sadly, you have a mishap, it will be expensive for you to supplant these aluminium bars. Additionally, if you decide to purchase a compound bar, it accompanies the additional advantage of being liberated from rust.
This was the basic information about bull bars and their uses. If you are also planning to install one, you must get only a certified bull bar from a licence seller. They will be providing you with the best service in no time. All you have to do is keep a note of the renowned seller near you.